Sunday, September 27, 2009

First, asking me to go to a bar is not wholly unreasonable.

I went to a local (Rosemount, MN) establishment I frequent quite often with the primary purpose to interact with peers from both my private and work lives. I was also able to consider the academic task--to observe themes of behavior among males. Several themes emerged as the evening wore on, and I continue to reflect on the application of this perspective to the inclusion of popular culture in my classroom. I observed males acting competitive, loud, and constantly adapting their behavior depending on the gender of their counterparts.

A recurring theme was a competitive trend among the men. Certainly, video games and pool tables are intended to attract the attention of male patrons. Throughout the evening, about half of the hunting and beanbag simulations were occupied by male small groups or individuals. A few groups were playing pool, though some women were mixed among them. I observed and overheard competitive ribbing and other behaviors at various times. These instances ranged from celebrative exuberance to loud swearing. While competition was presumably at the root of a lot of interactions, the vibe of the bar was still cheerful. The women in the group seemed to enjoy themselves and even joined in occasionally.

A second difference between male and female behavior was the volume of verbal interactions. This is not to say there weren’t some enthusiastic women in the establishment, but primarily men seemed to control the noise level. Again, much of the noise was related to a competitive, yet jovial, atmosphere. Men were more apt to shout across tables, sections, and even the entire bar to interact with other males.

A third difference I observed was chameleon-like behavior among many males. Men who claimed they were single appeared to speak and act differently to their male friends than to females. They were more attentive and seemed more engaged in conversations with women—even those clearly spoken for. Whether out of respect or ulterior motives, some men seemingly could switch on and off behaviors I assume women would find boorish.

That evening I spent a good deal of time observing and trying to arrive at conclusions about male and female behavior. I look forward to comparing the assumptions about each gender’s interactions and image—but more importantly how they apply to the classroom.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    I think you did a good job of describing the atmosphere of the bar. I also l liked how you described the men and the women especially in terms of their verbal interactions. I agree men are much more loud at bars especially when it comes to sports. Also, their interactions with the games such as pool is good to observe. Lastly, your observations about the 'chameleon-like behavior' was very interesting. Good work!

    ReplyDelete