Sunday, November 1, 2009

I'm Lovin' it?

Chapter 14 discusses the evolution and implications of modern food on our society. If we are to believe the authors' assertion, interesting is the development of food from a social and familial shared experience toward a taxing chore.

What is striking are the actual numbers that support the prevailing belief that there is an unhealthy relationships between women and their food. While "health" has different definitions over a variety of eras, it certainly appears that contemporary American women in particular have some questionable standards to live up to. Moreover, our vision of "health" is so skewed that women will engage in unhealthy, and even life-threatening, behavior in order to appear "healthy"! Most frustrating is that these standards appear to be set by fashion designers, corporations, and others who are otherwise out-of-touch with what stands for human health and beauty. The authors cite statistics about average model heights and weights--and this reader's reaction was one of frustration. I defy those who put models of above average hight and below average weight to poll your typical adult male. How can the populous take back "popular" culture and demand that the standards for health and beauty return to more of an accurate reflection of our interests?

Another interesting topic outlined in the chapter was the relationship between "big food" and weight loss programs. Often times, these two seemingly polarized entities actually are intertwined. The authors insinuate that some food corporations may benefit on either end of our society's tendency towards "yo-yo" dieting. This conspiracy, whether orchestrated by the same corporate machine or not, may have some truth. Some food interests have Americans salivating for the newest pizza technology that crams in more cheese--and the next commercial makes us feel terrible about our body image. While "big food" continually delivers more taste, "big diet" drives us to regret giving in to our desire for that latest and greatest in taste.

The implications for schools are far-reaching. For one, schools currently have to balance the cash cow of vending machines with the responsibility to teach students how to care for themselves. If students will drink soda and eat candy bars anyway, is it right for schools to provide these in the era of budget crises? If food had traditionally been a social experience, it may behoove schools to use nutrition to teach good choices and build relationships. Secondly, how can teachers use media messages about food as learning opportunities for their students? Lessons may involve researching primary sources in television, movies, and the internet and discussing the standards set forth. Who decides heath? Who decides beauty? What about other controversies surrounding race, class, and gender?

5 comments:

  1. Hi Alex,

    I really liked your analysis of women trying to become and look ‘healthy’ by doing ‘unhealthy’ things. I have never really thought of it in that way but it is very true and sad. Models and tv makes it appear that being that skinny is healthy and normal when it is not. I have also noticed that diet programs and McDonalds along with other fast food and other big food industries have control over how we eat. One minute they want us to diet and the next they are telling us to supersize our hamburger. It is very contradictory and seems like big industries are making millions of dollars off of it while not caring too much about the real health and mindset of their consumers. I really like your topics, keep up the good blogs!

    -Mady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome blog entry, Andrew. At one point, you state,

    "Most frustrating is that these standards appear to be set by fashion designers, corporations, and others who are otherwise out-of-touch with what stands for human health and beauty."

    Although I more or less agree with you, I have a different sort of argument that I'd like you to entertain for a moment. Although I think you and I are making the same point, I argue that the shapers of health standards are very much in-touch with what stands for human health and beauty. However, vs. utilizing marketing reflective of real people and eaters, they of course carefully construct their advertisements and media to carefully PLAY on people's insecurities (and they are REALLY good at playing on adolescents who are already insecure to begin with!).

    Overall, I'm arguing, and I don't think that you'll disagree with me, that the way that the media constructs what is perceived as "healthy" is by no means a deficit of understanding of what people actually look like in reality. Instead, I argue that advertisers are keenly aware of this, and in fact use it to their advantage.

    Thoughts?

    Overall, right on dude.

    -Rick Filipkowski

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post Andrew,

    I think your comment about "health" and what that means is something interesting to think about. From a medical standpoint is one way to look at it, but also maybe how you feel doing exercise? I don't know that body size is the best way to determine health, and women seem to be falling into that trap.

    It'll be interesting to see how long thin will be in, until the style changes again.
    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just jumping in on Rick's comment to your post.

    I agree that fashion designers, et al, are out of touch, in one sense, of beauty and health -- but at the same time (sadly), they actually define it (beauty) because of the way our society, marketplaces and media work.

    Interesting read and comments -- thanks!
    g/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrew, I especially like the questions you raise in your last paragraph. I feel that many students would require a lot of scaffolding to be able to really adequately address the questions such as: Who decides heath? Who decides beauty? What about other controversies surrounding race, class, and gender?

    And that is a good question, about how we can use food and possibly vending machines to teach students about building social relationships. Imagine if we taught them to be healthy, and support each other in good choices. Hmmm...the possibilities.

    ReplyDelete